Monday 23 August 2021

Ide claims career-best result as Kristoffersson suffers deflating exit.

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool
Enzo Ide offered KYB EKS JC some consolation with a fourth-place finish at the second round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship at Höljes in Sweden on Sunday, as Kristoffersson suffered a deflating exit. 

In only the second event of his first full World RX campaign, Ide claimed a third-place finish in the semi-final (with a puncture). Having saved a set of new tyres for the final. The Belgian driver had a decent start from the back row but opted for a first lap joker, which as the race progressed provided key as he secured a fourth-place finish. 

"It’s been fun to drive in Höljes again and I’m really, really happy with the result. The weekend has been a bit up and down for me, but EKS JC has done a good job of getting the car where I want it. I am very grateful to compete with this team, which constantly helps me to be comfortable in the car, develop myself, and push forward," Ide said.

"After the semi-finals, I had some mixed feelings, as I had a puncture but was able to make it to the final. I chose to take the joker straight away in the final and that allowed me to set good pace and pick up places. I lost some focus for a while, but my spotter pushed me to focus and I managed to keep it together. I set some good lap times and coming fourth, in front of two very fast drivers, feels really good."

Whilst team-mate and reigning World RX Champion Johan Kristoffersson had a weekend to forget despite topping Q1 and Q4 with the fastest times and qualifying second overall in the Intermediate Classification to start on pole position for semi-final two. 

The Swede aced the start in the semi-final to lead the race through the first corner. He led from the front and looked set for a place in the final. But, on lap 3, a double puncture caused by landing over the jump meant he would go no further. 

"The weekend started really well with the fastest time in Q1. Then in Q2 and Q3 we did not really have the speed we wanted, but we changed the setup a bit and got into Q4 with good speed," Kristoffersson said. "It felt really good before the semi-finals, and I felt more comfortable in the car again. In the semis, I made a good start and took the lead but on lap three I got a little too sideways, in turn two, and landed on the kerb after the jump. I got a double puncture and it was over."

Having failed to make the final, Johan now lies joint fourth in the Drivers’ Championship.

"It’s still early in the championship. At the same time, the margins are getting smaller, and our situation is a little more difficult now," he said. "But it is what it is, and I won’t think about it. We all know how fast things can happen in motorsport, these first two races I have raced the new car to me and I am still learning. We have to take the lessons from here with us, and simply try to do better next time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment