Friday 24 May 2019

Team Hansen MJP targets podium in Silverstone

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool. 
Team Hansen MJP heads to Silverstone for the fourth round World RX Championship, where they will defend their lead in both the drivers' and teams' championships. 

Last time out at Spa-Francorchamps, Kevin Hansen missed out on a place in the Final by less than a tenth of a second, while older brother Timmy turned in a good recovery drive and ended fourth overall in the final.

While Team Hansen MJP were sent home licking their wounds after a tyre strategy error on Saturday forcing a fightback on Sunday. The Swedish outfit is positive heading to Silverstone. 

Last year's event at Silverstone, the first since the switch from Lydden Hill, resulted in Timmy setting the fastest lap of the weekend, although unfortunately, a car problem forced him to retire from the Semi-Final.

“I'm looking forward to Silverstone because I know we have the pace to succeed here; I have the track record for fastest lap as it stands, after all!" said Timmy Hansen. "A problem with the car last year stopped me from making the Final but generally speaking our Peugeot 208 WRX is tough as nails."

The Swede's Peugeot 208 WRX took quite a beating in Abu Dhabi after Andreas Bakkerud and Timmy collided in Q3 requiring extensive bodyshell repairs. Spa-Francorchamps was no different for the Swede brushing the walls and making content with his rivals through the weekend.

"It took a beating in the rough gravel at the final turn at Spa, plus we brushed the wall, but it was still quick regardless," he said. "Of course I'll be keeping an eye on the big jump and the sometimes heavy landings it can generate but I've got the speed to win, so I'll be pushing as hard as ever.”

Younger brother Kevin made it through to the Final at Silverstone in 2018.

“I'm really looking forward to Silverstone because it's a track that I know really well. It's quite technical and I think it suits my driving style," said Kevin Hansen. 

"I went well there last year. Spa-Francorchamps wasn't so easy for us, so I'm looking forward to getting to Silverstone and seeing what we can do."

Kevin leads older brother Timmy by 11 points in the drivers' standings heading into Britain, while the team has a single point in hand over rival GRX Taneco.

"We're leading the championship but that doesn't mean we're thinking about the championship situation and the points," he said.

The young Swede hopes to squeeze a little bit extra out of himself to gain strong result in Great Britain.

"I really want to push hard at Silverstone and squeeze a little extra out of myself to see what I can do. Obviously, that comes with a little more risk, but it's a risk that's worth the reward. I've got some confidence, so let's see what happens.”

TEXT - Junaid Samodien

No comments:

Post a Comment