Tuesday 12 June 2018

Petter Solberg: "I needed to come back from a bit of a disappointment in Silverstone."

PHOTO CREDIT: FIA World Rallycross Media
Petter Solberg charged into his home round in Norway with some optimism, hoping to turn around his luck. Solberg was involved in a number of incidents leading off from the first round in Barcelona. He also collided with his teammate on two consecutive weekends. 

The 2018 World RX of Great Britain race weekend saw Petter retiring from the semi-final after making with his teammate. This was a good weekend, it was what I needed to come back from a bit of a disappointment in Silverstone," said Solberg.

Petter's teammate started on pole position for the final, while he started on the back row. Solberg had a perfect launch seeing him claim the Monster Energy Supercharge Award, while Ekström also had a lightning start. Ekström trying to shut the door on those behind saw him nudge Timmy Hansen who spun infront of Andreas Bakkerud. The two collided and nearly collected the pair of PSRX Volkswagen's at Turn 1. 

“The final was a bit crazy – or at least the first corner was. I got off the line really well, but after that when I got to the bend, the cars were everywhere and I was sure I would hit one of them or take some damage," said Solberg. "But I got away, I got through and then I drove to my plan."

Qualifying on the back row of the final did not help Petter's hopes to claim a win at his home event, but a podium finish after a difficult few weeks is a boost for the PSRX Volkswagen Sweden team owner. “There’s not much more I could have done this weekend, to get the podium is what I needed," the Norweigen said. "It would have been nice to be one-two with Johan, but third is good; it’s a strong, strong result for the team and to see PSRX Volkswagen Sweden moving clear at the top is really important.

“The one thing I have to say again is a big thank you to all the fans. They are always incredible when we come here, but this time they were even more," he adds. If I had the time I would go to thank every one of them, but I think they are a little bit too much!”

No comments:

Post a Comment