Sunday 25 November 2018

Ekstrom ends full-time World RX career.

PHOTO CREDIT: Junaid Samodien 
The 2016 FIA World Rallycross Champion Mattias Ekstrom has called time on his World RX career as a full-timer. 

Ekstrom finished second at the World RX of South Africa, and clinched second in the drivers' standings. 

"This will be my last World RX race as a full timer," said Ekstrom. "It was a quite happy end as well."

Ekstrom, a two-time DTM Champion entered the World Rallycross Championship with his own EKS [Ekstrom] team in 2014.

"For me I think I had a fantastic five-years as a driver here and I think for the moment its time for me to close the chapter off and look for other championships," the Swede said.

Audi partnered with EKS for the 2018 season, but later in August [2018] announced their withdrawal from the EKS programme.

"What will happen with the team? We are still not 100% sure, but as soon as we have something to say, we will tell this as well," said Ekstrom

The Swede competed in 50 World RX championship rounds, in where he claimed 10 wins and 22 podiums. 

"You know, its been a big chapter of my life and I enjoyed a lot of the battles,
" said Ekstrom

Mattias labelled his on-track World RX battles with Sebastien Loeb as his favourite. 

"I would say my best and favourite battles were with Sebastien [Loeb], he was probably the most fair and the ones I enjoyed the most," said Ekstrom. "The ones with Petter [Solberg] I enjoyed in the beginning and then it got emotional, but that's the part of racing, and also Johan [Kristoffersson] and some other guys had great battles."

"And, again its nice to see all the people from the team here. When you know its for the last time, its something special," he concluded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment