Monday 7 May 2018

Petter Solberg: “I want the win, but I won’t risk everything for it."

PHOTO CREDIT: FIA World Rallycross
PSRX Volkswagen Sweden's team owner and driver, Petter Solberg returns to Mettet, Belgium where he had a problem in the lead of the World RX final last year, when he might well have won. His team-mate Kristoffersson was able to pick up the spoils and took the race win for the team. 

“I’ve never won this race in Belgium, but I came close last year, I should have had this one last year. But this sport comes down to the fine details and these are what we are working so hard on right now," said Solberg. "We are working harder than ever on our strategy, we’re looking at everything we can do to bring a small advantage. But at the same time, we’re early in the season and this isn’t the time to be taking big risks.

Petter is currently in third place in the FIA World RallyCross championship standings, just a point shy of second place, Andreas Bakkerud [EKSRX]. Solberg has only managed to pick-up a podium in the first two rounds of the championship.

“The first two races have been quite strange. We were really quick, probably the fastest, at round one, but we had no luck. Then in Portugal last time we struggled a little bit, but we made the podium!," says Solberg. "You know me, you know how much I want to win, more than anything. I’m really happy to see Johan on the top step, but I think I’m ready for a go up there as well now!"

PSRX Volkswagen Sweden's strategists are poring over race data and plotting another course to be competitive and win in Belgium. 

“I want the win, but I won’t risk everything for it. We have to be sensible, add the points all the time. I’m definitely not going to get stressed about this," said Solberg. "I know we had the speed in Barcelona and then we got some bad luck in Portugal – like when they put the gravel out in the qualifying heats. We got some really slippery conditions and could only make 10th fastest in that heat."

“That’s the difference in World RX today – you have something small, some small detail that doesn’t work for you and you are 10th. That’s why we focus on detail," Solberg concludes.

No comments:

Post a Comment