Wednesday 30 May 2018

Johan Kristoffersson: "I’m becoming much more of a Sunday person."

PHOTO CREDIT: FIA World Rallycross Media
Johan Kristoffersson extended his lead at the top of the table with a third win from four races at World RX of Great Britain. The Swede wasn't far off the pace on Saturday, but felt more comfortable in his PSRX Volkswagen Sweden Polo R Supercar on Sunday.

“I don’t know what it is about me and Saturdays this season; it looks like I’m becoming much more of a Sunday person. But I don’t mind this – the final is on Sunday!," said Kristoffersson. "Yesterday was quite tricky, it wasn’t the perfect day, but we weren’t far away. We were in the battle. Today Q3 and Q4 went really well, it was great to be leading into the semis. But then things got quite interesting…"

Both PSRX Volkswagen Sweden drivers qualified for the semi-final with Johan on pole and Petter Solberg alongside him in third. Petter and Johan touched going into the first corner. The race was then stopped. Petter Solberg later retired in the semi-final with mechanical issues.

“Even before the start of the semi-final I had a problem with the radio in the car. I couldn’t hear the spotter, we found a way to fix this, but it was a little bit of a stress. And then we got to the first corner, I didn’t make such a good start, I touched with Petter and then I was straight to the barrier. For sure, this was not the plan!," says Krisoffersson“For the re-started race, everything was OK."

Johan went on to win the semi-final and then dominated the final. "There was a little bit of work to do before the final, but I have the best team in the world to do this work – they were fantastic. I don’t know what it was, but it didn’t feel like I had the perfect pace in the first half of the race and Andreas [Bakkerud] was right with me. In some places it was so slippery, I just had to be really precise and careful," he adds.

“For the second half, I said to myself: “OK, just put these laps together…” I did that and it worked. I did the joker on the final lap and it was perfect."

The win in Silverstone is Johan’s first on British soil, means he moves 14 points clear at the top of the table. Despite a tough semi-final, PSRX Volkswagen Sweden also extends its advantage to 22 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment