Tuesday 29 May 2018

Mattias Ekström: "We can be satisfied because we have made progress."

PHOTO CREDIT: FIA World Rallycross Media.
EKS Audi Sport driver Andreas Bakkerud made the step onto the winners’ podium for the first time in 2018 after finishing second in the final. Mattias Ekström finished in fourth place.

For the third time this year, both EKS Audi Sport drivers qualified for the final. Starting alongside each other on the second row, Bakkerud held a much better line running into turn one and in doing so secured second place behind Johan Kristoffersson. The opening first few laps saw Bakkerud glued to the rear of Kristoffersson but missed out on victory by a mere 0.859 seconds.

Ekström behind the leading pair. After the joker lap, he was passed by Sébastien Loeb and ultimately had to settle for fourth place. “I didn’t realize that Loeb was so close behind me, which is why I stayed on the normal racing line,” said Ekström. “There was no jackpot for me today, but we took a good haul of points. And of course the podium for Andreas is fantastic. Our fight in the first corner was fair. Overall as a team we can be satisfied because we have made progress. Our starts are now more consistent.”

Bakkerud made his fourth appearance in the final on his fourth start for EKS Audi Sport. “It feels great to be on the podium for the first time with my new team and Audi,” said Bakkerud. “The pressure on me has now dropped. First I had to familiarize myself with the new car, but I’ve now achieved this thanks to the fantastic support from the entire team."

"I look forward confidently to the rest of the season, because now my favorite race tracks are looming on the horizon and my home race in Hell,” he adds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment