Wednesday 3 October 2018

Solberg is back to his absolute best.

PHOTO CREDIT: FIA World Rallycross Media
Petter Solberg is back! Solberg has struggled throughout the 2018 World RX season, after being diagnosed with an illness only discovered after his accident in Latvia last year. He has had trouble with his vision and a lack of energy, but this weekend, Petter has felt better and stronger. 
The Norwegian led overnight after a storming run to fastest times in Q1 and Q2 on Saturday. “I was really happy with the start to the weekend. Qualifying on Saturday was fantastic, I was very happy to be leading after Q2," said Solberg. "It’s been a tough year and to come out and win both of those Saturday qualifying races gave me an unbelievable feeling again.

On Sunday, Solberg won his semi-final and was in the position to take his first win of the 2018 season, but it was not to be for the Norwegian when he slid wide and dropped to second behind Johan. 

“Sunday was really good as well, we came through the semi in a good way and the final was looking perfect. I braked a little bit too late and couldn’t get the car turned to the left-hander before the jump," the Norwegian explained. "I took the handbrake and slid a little bit wide."

“That one I gave to Johan, my mistake. I wanted that win so badly. It has been a tough season, but I really feel like I’m back."

After a physically demanding weekend at the Circuit of the AmericasSolberg admitted he was not in the best shape, and believes that with more training, he can get back to his best. 

“I am tired now, but it’s been a physically hard weekend with the heat in the car and I’ll be honest, with the illness I haven’t been able to train so much as I wanted to. But now I’m going to be in the gym and fighting like hell for those last two races."

No comments:

Post a Comment