Tuesday 3 July 2018

Petter Solberg: "This one really hurt so bad."

PHOTO CREDIT: PSRX Volkswagen Sweden
Norway's Petter Solberg entered the World RX of Sweden with renewed hope that his luck had finally turned around.

Solberg was the only driver who could stop his teammate, Johan Kristoffersson in Sweden. The Norwegian did not have the cleanest of Saturday's with a sixth place finish in Q1, but improved in Q2 to claim second place. 

On Sunday morning, Solberg showed strong pace edging Johan to win Q3. His teammate stepped up the pace in Q4, and Solberg ended the session in second overall. 

It all went downhill from there...  

"I have been disappointed before in my career, but I don’t know if I can remember a time when I am more disappointed than this," said Solberg"This one really hurt so bad."

Petter secured pole position for semi-final 2, with Andreas Bakkerud alongside him on the front row. He launched off the line and immediately started eking a gap to second place Bakkerud. A few laps from end Bakkerud emerged in the lead. 

Moments later, Petter Solberg was seen opening up the bonnet of his Polo R Supercar with smoke rising from the engine bay. He suffered a technical problem and was forced to retire.

“I had the race in my hand, we were going directly to the final where I wanted a win," says Solberg"I wanted it so much."

Coming out of one corner, something wasn’t right with the car, I pulled over and that was the end," he explains. "There’s nothing more to say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment