Friday 6 October 2023

"Every piece of the puzzle was there" to lift the 2019 title had Grönholm not suffered from appendicitis.

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool
Niclas Grönholm has firmly established himself as one of the championship stars, with his cool, but calm demeanor. 

In the 2019 season, he was regarded as the quickest driver, and could have challenged for the 2019 title, however, due to appendicitis, he was forced to sit out of two rounds. But, he was quick to rebound with a victory in Norway, and at the season finale in Cape Town, which was overshadowed by the tense title tussle between Timmy Hansen and Andreas Bakkerud. 

Speaking to Rhea Morar at the Killarney International Raceway, the Finn said: "Obviously, it felt good [to win the 2019 World RX of South Africa]. That was the target to win some races after I missed a few races. We couldn't win the championship that was pretty clear, but overall, it still feels quite bad."

"I felt that year I was the most prepared that I've ever been. I had a really good feeling with the car and the driving, and I was physically in really good shape when the season started until I got sick."

Grönholm admits that all the stars aligned in 2019, but unfortunately, a case of appendicitis proved costly for his ambitions to be a world champion that season. 

"So, since then it's not quite the same. I think that year was really a good feeling in the team, and I think every piece of the puzzle was there, but then I didn't go to the doctor in time, but for sure, that was a good year," he said.

Audio Source/Interview Quote: Rhea Morar and Russell Atkins. 

Written By: Junaid Samodien 

No comments:

Post a Comment