Wednesday 25 April 2018

GRX Taneco look to build on Round 1 momentum in Portugal

Image Copyright: GRX Taneco Team
GRX Taneco Team just missed out on a podium place at the opening round in Barcelona and are now raring to go for round 2 of the FIA World Rallycross Championship in Montalegre, Portugal. With the Hyundai i20 Supercar still at a development stage, the team aimed to launch its 2018 World Rallycross Championship campaign by qualifying for the semi-finals and building some experience at the opening round in Spain. 

Niclas Grönholm made it into the final (4th), while Timur Timerzyanov steered the second Hyundai i20 Supercar into the semi-final (9th). “My goal was to reach the semi-finals in the season-opener. The final was a real bonus and we can be proud of what we’ve achieved so far," says Grönholm. The Montalegre circuit lap record for the 1010-metre long 60% tarmac, 40% gravel track stands at 37.802s.

"There’s still a lot to do but it’s an excellent start that has motivated us all. I really like the Montalegre circuit," said Grönholm. "It’s quite fast-paced and it suits my driving style. I’ve had some decent results there in the past so I’m looking forward to lining up for the qualifiers.”

With the Hyundai i20 Supercar still in development, the team are aiming to build-up more experience with its new car in the opening rounds of the season. “I was able to get to grips with the Hyundai i20 Supercar at the first round of the season. The car is very powerful with a lot of potential and I’m convinced it’ll take us to the podium," says Timerzyanov. "I’ve been driving on the Montalegre circuit for a few years now. It calls for an aggressive driving style because it’s quite tight. Everyone loves the gravel section, where you just have to slide the car. I really like the track and I know that I can put in a good performance in Portugal.”

Timur Timerzyanov qualified for the semi-final last year and Niclas Grönholm finished the weekend in 13th position. 

Image Copyright: GRX Taneco Team

No comments:

Post a Comment