Wednesday 29 May 2019

Kevin Hansen looses championship lead to older brother Timmy.

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool
Team Hansen MJP's Kevin Hansen lost the FIA World Rallycross championship lead on Sunday, after making a costly error in Semi-Final 1, which meant he could not progress to the final in Silverstone.

Kevin and his older brother Timmy lead the way on Saturday, with Timmy and Kevin going fastest and second fastest respectively in Qualifying 1. There was another formation finish in Qualifying 2, where both Timmy and Kevin were in the same heat once again, Timmy claimed the Q2 victory and the Kevin going third fastest in the overall standings overnight.

“Saturday was really good, I think I had a really good pace," he said. "The starts were amazing, I really felt at home and that I have upped my level quite a lot on Saturdays."

The rain had fallen at Silverstone overnight, and the Hansen brothers would start in the first race of qualifying 3, which would put them at a disadvantage due to an improving track. Timmy lead home a 1-2 finish ahead of Kevin. Kevin switched things around in Q4 leading home another 1-2 finish, which put both on the front row for Semi-Final 1.

"Then on Sunday I was having good pace in qualifying but was struggling a bit with the reverse grid, it didn’t feel in our favour as in the end I was P3," said Kevin Hansen. 

All appeared well in the Semi-Final, with the Hansen brothers in 1-2 yet again. Timmy lead the way from Kevin and both took their jokers on the last lap but a small mistake from the young Swede when entering the hairpin put him into the tyre barrier and cost him 10 seconds. A second place had become sixth at the penultimate corner of the race.

"The Semi-Final was going really well and I had good speed behind Timmy, he was on fresh rubber and I wasn’t. I think it was a good Semi but just a small mistake, in the end, cost me a lot," the Swede said. 

The 21-year-old lost the championship lead to older brother Timmy who is four points ahead in the standings heading to Hell, Norway.

"It’s been a long time since I led a championship so it was nice to have it for four races, but now I want to take it back!" said Hansen. "Now I have led once, I know how it works so let’s take that lead back and keep it.” 

TEXT - Junaid Samodien

No comments:

Post a Comment