Wednesday 1 May 2019

Kevin Hansen extends championship lead in Spanish sunshine.

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool.
FIA World RX of Abu Dhabi race winner Kevin Hansen extends his Championship lead in Barcelona.

The young Swede left Barcelona with an eight point lead in the championship over Niclas Gronholm (second overall), and an 18 point advantage over his brother Timmy Hansen (in third overall). 

Kevin ended the first day of racing in second overall. Sunday morning was a different story for the young Swede who started alongside his brother in Q3, but finished the session only fifth fastest. In the fourth qualifying heat, Hansen started on the outside and needed to muscle his way through the field. He ended the session in fourth place. 

“We had a really good Q1 and Q2; then I had to get my elbows out a bit more in Q3 and Q4, but I really enjoyed it," said Hansen. 

If there is any consolation for Kevin, he claimed the fastest lap of the weekend - 42.670s.

"I got the fastest lap of the weekend too, which made me really happy, as the ultimate pace compared to Timmy is perhaps the area where I’ve been lacking before, but now we’re getting there," he said. 

In the final Kevin started alongside his brother. He managed to hang onto his brother in certain parts of the circuit, but Timmy started edging away. Hansen then opted to take his joker while running second on the fifth lap. 

On the final lap, Andreas Bakkerud took his joker lap, handing Kevin the opportunity to close in and claim second in the closing stages. 

Kevin went on to claim second place behind his brother Timmy Hansen, in a Team Hansen MJP 1-2. 

"Timmy did an amazing job this weekend; he really deserved to win," he said. "I wouldn’t say that he was completely uncatchable as there were times that I was close to him, but we drive each other on, which is perfect as it’s all about the team."

"Now I’ve extended my championship lead but this is not something that I’ve been thinking about much: we’re only on round two out of 10 so there’s a really long way to go.”

TEXT - Junaid Samodien

No comments:

Post a Comment