Friday 31 May 2019

David Coulthard talks Red Bull City Circuit, Formula 1 and family.

PHOTO CREDIT: Red Bull Content Pool.
Former Formula 1 driver David Coulthard has arrived in South Africa for this weekend's Red Bull City Circuit event, where he will light up the streets of Cape Town on Sunday in an Aston Martin Red Bull Racing RB7 car.

Upon arrival, Coulthard whisked into KFM 94.5 studios for a live interview with Radio DJ and personality Ryan O'Connor. They talked all things: Red Bull City Circuit to Formula One and more...

What can people/fans expect at the Red Bull Street Circuit event (on Sunday)?

David Coulthard: "They are going to get the opportunity to see a Grand Prix car up close and personal. We've got some of the race team guys that have come down to prepare the cars. The thing that I like about these sort of events - it's so much more then a Formula 1 team coming to town. Red Bull has had to negotiate with your fine council and dignitaries to get permission, and thankfully we have been given those and that gives an opportunity for young and old. Those who are fans of Formula 1 or never even seen it before. To really experience the raw energy and power of Grand Prix racing."

Ryan O'Connor: Formula 1 is a family and its one that's not only felt with the drivers and teams. Some that you never get to see - some you see for five seconds as they change a tyre on the car. I think we don't respect it as spectators, just how much of a team effort it is. When you see the likes of Lewis Hamilton going week in and week out taking pole position or winning a race. Mercedes have had a great run this year. It's a lot of hard work. We look at it and say: 'oh no... not again..... not another one.' But, it's not just Lewis. To get that right on a Formula 1 weekend - the dynamic within that team is an entire team effort.  

DC: "I know you were mentioning the figures, and you were saying five seconds in a pitstop. It's actually two seconds... INCREDIBLE! You'd be pretty impressed if you went to your local tyre dealer and they gave you a pitstop in two seconds. You'd be lucky to get it in two hours!"

"Formula 1 is a fantastic family of highly motivated, highly skilled people and it doesn't matter. When I say high skills, I am not talking about the engineers and designers. I am talking about the mechanics and the people that build the garages. They all have to be on their A-game and I think the wonderful thing of this truly global championship is that its a truly international make-up of people that came together. Men and women from all around the world work for Formula 1 teams, and it's just a joy to be part of, which is why it is so addictive. Although I am no longer racing I am still part of the circus traveling the world because you just know that you are around high achievers." 

"I have been doing this world tour. I retired 10 years ago and I've still been going to all corners of the globe for the last 10 years and on top of that - events like this which are too good of an opportunity not to be part of and I was in Vietnam earlier as well with Red Bull ahead of their first Grand Prix next year. Maybe, we'll have a Grand Prix back in South Africa. Iain [Banner - CEO of the Laureus World Sports Awards] will have a word with some of his friends and see if that could happen."

Next generation of Coulthard's in Formula 1?

DC: "Our... I should say - I only played a small part in it, but our son is ten-years-old. A couple of years ago, he came to me and said: 'Daddy when am I going to start karting?' I haven't encouraged him at all. And, I was like: 'why do you want to do karting?' And he said: 'How do I practice to be a Grand Prix driver?' So, it started a journey. His actually testing today... We live in the South of France and its holidays there at the moment. And, we are racing up in Scotland in two weeks, the weekend after the Montreal [Canadian Grand Prix] we will be back in the UK. So, who knows if he's good enough, motivated enough and has got the work ethic, but we will find out over time. I think sport is a great way to educate young boys and girls - that anything you really want, you've got to work for." 

"No, she [wife allowing her son to race] is not happy at all, but my mom kept her fingers crossed until I was 38-years-old. I was 37 when I retired from Formula 1 then she could release her fingers. So, I think it's going to be like that for any parent." 

Transcribed, Edited and Written by - Junaid Samodien

No comments:

Post a Comment