Friday 10 August 2018

Teamwork makes Kristoffersson's dreamwork.

PHOTO CREDIT: PSRX Volkswagen Sweden.
It was all to play for at the 2018 World RX of Canada, with fellow competitors bring rafts of upgrades. Could Johan Kristoffersson claim his fourth straight win? It was all to play for! 

On Saturday, Johan struggled with traffic and qualifying position, and ended the day in ninth overall. 

The Super Swede turned it all around on Sunday to further strengthen his World Rallycross Championship defense at the Trois-Rivieres circuit.

“Did you think I’d left my race pace on the beach? Me too! Seriously, Saturday was tough. I had bad traffic, I couldn’t really make things work for me. I was so frustrated on Saturday night," said Kristoffersson.

In order to improve on Sunday, Johan took advice from teammate Petter Solberg. The Swede was able to unlock more speed and went on to claim the top qualifier spot after Q4 [Qualifying 4].

"But, you know, that’s where having a team-mate like Petter Solberg really comes good. I felt I was losing a little bit in the gravel sections, so I sat down with my team-mate and we talked through everything in the car and in the driving. He helped me and on Sunday morning I did what he told me, came off the beach and back to the races!"

The Swede was wary of his rival Team Peugeot Total's Timmy Hansen starting alongside him in the final. Hansen put in quick starts in qualifying and the semi-final rounds, and Johan knew that he would have to be perfect.

"Sunday was fantastic. I had to push really hard in the semi-final, I knew the Peugeots would be right there and quick again," the Swede said. "The final was good, there was a bit of a challenge at the first corner, but once we got through there in front then I knew things were looking good."

“I won here last year and I’m so glad to be able to leave Canada with that winning feeling again. This is a great result for me and for PSRX Volkswagen Sweden and thanks again to Petter.” 

Kristoffersson leads the championship by an eye watering 55 points from his nearest rival Sébastien Loeb.

No comments:

Post a Comment