Tuesday 9 October 2018

Solberg sets his sights on victory at the Estering.

PHOTO CREDIT: FIAWorldRallycross.com
Last time out in Texas, its safe to say Solberg is back! The Norwegian was quick all weekend, and was on the brink of claiming his first win of the season, but it was not to be after sliding wide. His teammate clinched victory! 

Solberg heads to Germany, a circuit where he claimed victory in 2014, by the smallest of margins: +0.005s. “I won at this track in 2014 and I really like it," said Solberg

The Estering track in Buxtehude, Germany is 925m in length, with 60% being asphalt and 40% gravel. "There’s a lot of gravel in there and it’s quite technical," the Norwegian explains. "We’ve seen in the past that it suits our car quite well – but it also suits the Audis." 

In 2017, Solberg returned to racing at the Hockenheimring, with a broken collarbone following his crash in Latvia. "It was the first race back after the crash in Latvia and I was competing with a broken collarbone," says Solberg. "For sure, it was a little bit painful, but the result was incredible and a real boost for me."

The Norwegian went to finish fourth in the final. 

Can he do one better this year? Or, even claim victory? Solberg certainly thinks so, he targets a win this weekend. 

“I want to go for that win this time," says Solberg. "I’m feeling confident, I showed good pace in America and with my training back on track now I’m feeling much more like myself. I feel strong again."

Petter is in a thrilling race for second in the championship, with nine points separating four drivers. Mattias Ekström second, with 204 points, Solberg two points down on him with Andreas Bakkerud a further two behind while Sébastien Loeb starts the weekend on 195 points.

“A win would be the perfect way to chase second place and the silver medal," says Solberg. "I know [Mattias] Ekström, [Andreas] Bakkerud and [Sébastien] Loeb, they’re all going to be strong. They have all got good speed at this track, but we’ve been strong in the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment