Tuesday 20 August 2019

Kevin Hansen wins Nitro Rallycross in first attempt.

PHOTO CREDIT: Garth Milan/Red Bull Content Pool
Kevin Hansen etched his name into Nitro World Games history when he claimed victory at the second-ever Nitro Rallycross event in Utah.

The Swede took the checkered flag first in the six-car final following in the footsteps of his older brother Timmy Hansen, who won last year's event and finished third in 2019. Subaru Motorsports USA's Patrik Sandell finished in a close second after starting on pole position in the final.

"Wow! Just, wow! I almost can’t find the words to say what I’m feeling now. It was the best six laps of my life," he said. "I expected an amazing weekend on my first outing as a driver at the Nitro World Games, but nothing like this."

"I didn't drive a lap before the start [of the final]. Just had a mega start and then the six best laps of my life. This is the best win of my career." 

Kevin and Timmy used the same specification Supercar in Utah that they use in World Rallycross, although the Nitro competition adopted slightly different regulations, and (unlike the World RX championship) the track was mainly gravel.

"From the beginning, I had a really good feeling with the car and the circuit, after some good practice sessions, and then we just took it from there," Hansen said.

An exhausted Kevin Hansen after winning the Nitro Rallycross event.
PHOTO CREDIT: Garth Milan/Red Bull Content Pool
"The final was a great fight, but I made a great start, pushed to the absolute maximum, and managed to bring it home. And it was an amazing team result, with Timmy on the podium too."

Hansen leads the World Rallycross and Titans RX championship standings, and his win at the Nitro Rallycross event has given him confidence for the remainder of the year.

"I loved every bit of it, and I’m feeling very confident now for the rest of the year going forward!" he said.

The 2018 Nitro Rallycross winner Timmy Hansen survived a poor start and early contact with Tanner Foust and Ken Block to power through the field an claim a third-place finish. 

"I’m happy with our own weekend as well, as it’s always good to stand on the podium," he said. "It wasn’t quite a perfect race for me in the end and it was always going to be tricky starting off the front row, but we did our best and ended up with a great team result."

"I couldn’t be happier for Kevin (younger brother). I know what it feels like to conquer this astonishing circuit, and he put in a brilliant and commanding performance right from the start. From a family and team point of view, it makes me feel very proud."

PHOTO CREDIT: Garth Milan/Red Bull Content Pool
TEXT - Junaid Samodien

No comments:

Post a Comment